If there is heaven on earth, this would be it! Right after Club Med Kani, we made our way back to Velana International Airport for our transfer to Gili Lankanfushi. This was definitely the icing of the cake. We were greeted by Gili’s representative and whisked away to our designated Gili boat. First, we were handed scented wet towels, and then came a nice cold bottle of water. What caught our surprise was that they gently asked for our slippers and put them away in an eco-brown bag. We were told about the “No News, No Shoes” rule throughout our stay and the timing would be +1 hour at Gili Lankanfushi.
“You arrive not quite knowing what to expect. You have had holidays before but never a journey. Not like this. A stone’s throw from Malé airport, voyage to the height of luxury. An exclusive retreat, far from the worries of the world – Gili Lankanfushi.”
There’s no wonder Gili Lankanfushi is awarded the 2016 Tripadvisor Traveller’s Choice Awards No. 1 Luxury Hotel in Maldives and Asia. Yes and YES! This place is out of this world. It just screams, “Leave all your worries at home.” Upon arrival at the jetty, we were greeted by our personal Ms Friday – one of the distinctive concepts of Gili Lankanfushi. How did they came about that title? The personal butler – he or she is named after Robinson Crusoe’s loyal friend, Mr Friday. He or she will make your stay as pleasant as possible and swiftly answers any requests on your mind at any time. Our Ms Friday was Megumi and she was such a sweetheart to us.
Ms Friday took us to our villa suite via a personal buggy and check in was done in room. Awesome! The villa was huge, approximately 210 sqm. The living room with daybeds and dining table were all opened air. There were also a set of daybeds and dining table on the rooftop terrace at your disposal. Upon entering the villa, the master bedroom is located on the right and the walk-in bathroom is on the left. There is a bathtub overlooking the ocean and further at the end of the villa, a glass-walled shower area. We were lost for words indeed and spoilt for choice of where to hang around. It definitely took us several hours before everything sank in. We were in paradise!
There’s always a choice and you can choose to do everything or do nothing at all. A low down of what you should experience while you’re at Gili Lankanfushi.
- Upon check in, a map will be provided. A comprehensive map indeed – which certainly looks like a map Robinson Crusoe would carry. Perfect guide for you to get around the whole island by bicycle.
- If your birthday is just around the corner, request for a complimentary birthday cake. We were so delighted to find a bottle of champagne and some canape prepared for us when we arrived.
- Stay fit and healthy even when you’re on holiday. The gym was pleasant and they had a pretty extensive set of equipments.
- Fortunately for us, there was a guest yoga teacher in the resort during our stay. We attended the sunrise yoga sessions at 8am on both mornings. Great way to start the day!
- Make sure you never miss breakfast because the spread is amazing! We ordered the breakfast sets from the menu and tried a couple of their super juices.
- Visit the Wine Cellar and sample a range of exquisite chocolates and cold cuts. I personally loved the passion fruit chocolate balls. Truly tantalizing the tastebuds.
- What’s a beach holiday without lazing around in a hammock. Just further down the Over Water Villa, you will find this hammock overlooking the entire lagoon and One Palm Island.
- Have dinner at the Japanese Restaurant. Recommended to get Ms Friday to make a booking in advance for the comfy sofa seatings.
- Soak in the million dollar view from the comfort of you own private bathtub. Plus point – they even have a wide selection of aromatic sea salts for you to choose and try. Savage!
- Try out their complimentary water sports. There are surfing, sailing, paddle boarding and many others sports available. We did paddle boarding and the waters were much calmer in the morning.
- Highlight was definitely snorkelling at the reef edge, close to the drop off point. A registration at the diving centre is required and a short briefing will be provided by the Marine Biologist. A boat will then take you out to One Palm Island and from there, you will swim out to the reef edge while enjoying the beautiful marine life.
- Try out the International Buffet for dinner and eat to your heart’s content. We happened to be there for the ‘Mediterranean Spice Souk’ buffet dinner. It was fantastic, especially the grilled beef and grilled tuna belly.
- Enjoy a cocktail from the vast list of specialty cocktails available at the Over Water Bar. Time it perfectly and you will be able to catch sunset in the process. Sit back, relax and take it all in.
Gili Lankanfushi (3D2N) – USD $ 1940 per night / MYR 8,410 per night
Inclusive of – accommodation, breakfast for two and airport transfer
Total : USD $ 3,880 / MYR 16,800
*We got the hotel voucher via a charity silent auction and proceeds benefited the Mount Miriam Cancer Hospital.
(*subject to daily conversion rate)